MapleBee Sensor Networks
MapleBee™ Sensor Networks utilizes 2.4GHz ZigBee technology to create a highly scalable and cost effective communications networks.. Each Repeater Sensor Node (SRN) measures electrical parameters in the line and relays this information to the neighbouring SRN in the upstream direction. Data hops between each SRN until it reaches its final destination at the Collector Gateway (CGW) where the data is either analyzed using MapleBee™ analytics software or further routed to the client's control room via their SCADA systems. By using Maple MicroSystems' patent pending algorithms, a highly robust ZigBee-based network architecture is created with very low latency. MapleBee™ Sensor Networks are time-synchronized, enabling data from multiple locations along the distribution network to be aligned to provide a coherent image of the network performance across the entire grid.
The Network consists of three main components.
- Repeater Sensor Node (SRN) performs all the line measurements and sends them regularly upstream to the CGW through the wireless channel. Each SRN device will perform electrical parameter measurements well as repeater functions for the downstream SRN.
- Collector Gate Way (CGW) does not have any measurement capabilities. It is responsible for traffic management and the connectivity between SRN, and acts as the communication gateway between the MapleBee™ Sensor Networks and the external world. Additionally, it provides connectivity to the sensor applications such as such as the detection, location and analysis of faults, dynamic line rating, maintenance planning and feeder visualization.
- Controller End Point (CEP) is an end device that is typically a slave to one of the SRN and controls another device on the line such as a circuit breaker or a switch.
MapleBee OSI Software Architecture
Maple MicroSystems' vision of the utility of the future is an agile and progressive enterprise that embraces modern technology and end-to-end integration with different suppliers. This has created a demand for a new generation of intelligent systems, operating platforms and application software that proactively manage grid reliability, grid efficiency and consumer initiatives. Maple MicroSystems' MapleBee OSI (Open System Interface) Architecture offers a flexible, expandable and adaptable smart grid platform for Energy Management, Generation Management, Distribution Management and Outage Management, along with Substation Automation needs of electric utilities. MapleBee Middleware modular "Product" approach offers a breadth of individual applications for Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA), Asset Management, Distribution Grid Analysis, Demand Response, Renewables Management, Voltage and Var Control and Market Management as well as broad, secure communications interfaces with both modern or legacy field devices and control centers.
A utility may choose to view the data on an existing enterprise software platform such as SCADA/DMS/OMS, on vendor software platforms that are hosted and accessible via the Internet or can use Maple Microsystems’ customized software analytics.
- Seamless integration into SCADA system through DNP3 interface.
- Self powered with no batteries:
- Minimum current required for normal operation: 10A
- Operations with zero line current can be sustained for 24hr.
- Load current measurement: up to 2000 A
- Fault current measurements: up to 20,000A
- Harmonics measurements: up to 22nd harmonics
- Phase measurements with 1 degree accuracy and automatic phase ID
- Very low latency: less than 25ms per hop.
- Software upgrades over the air
- Radio Frequency: 2.4GHz
- Repeater Sensor Node (SRN) Radio Range: up to 1.5Km
- Weight: 1Kg
Maple MicroSystems is focused on providing Intelligent Sensor Network Solutions. Our featured product, MapleBee™ Sensor Networks, is the industry leader in providing cost effective monitoring systems from large-scale distribution grid down to the microgrid and even individual loads. . Our sensors are self –powered, with no batteries required, and have local intelligence that enables full grid automation. Our wireless network is scalable to thousands of sensors with no operating cost to the end client. To learn more about Maple MicroSystems follow us @MapleMicro
Our unique network architecture and communication makes the MapleBee sensor network the most scalable and cost effective in the industry, making it suitable for mass penetration from the substation to the feeder and down to the microgrid level.
Unlike most Intelligent Line Monitoring Systems (ILMS) which use cell phone networks for reporting the status of the grid, MapleBee™ Sensor Networks is based on ZigBee communications with data hopping between sensors until it reaches its destination.
Maple Bee patent pending technology, extends the ZigBee technology to create a more robust network with very low latency per hop, Along with special decision making algorithms on board each Repeater Sensor Nodes (SRN), the MapleBee is the only sensor network in the industry that is suitable for the future needs of full grid automation.
Our Management Team